Last updated on August 8th, 2022 at 11:20 am
Today while upgrading one of my website from WordPress version 2.7 to Version 3.0.1 I saw this error. I was trying to update my WordPress through Admin Console since it is very easy. The error says
Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() in taxonomy.php
A lazy day for me that I didn’t even bother to take my DB backup, WHY? because last time I have done the same method of upgrade for a tutorial website I owned and it worked without any issue.
The first thing to check if you face similar error is your PLUGINS
What is the FIX?
Just follow these steps
- Use FTP (or login to the server using SSH, Navigate the the wordpress root directory)
- Go to wp-content in FTP or /var/www/html/wp-content (or similar in SSH)
- Rename your plugins DIR (use MV command if logged in via SSH) . In linux use command mv plugins plugins_oldx_2022 or something that cannot be guessed easily
- Check the URL and Verify whether your website is loading fine
- Once confirmed enable rename the plugins_oldx_2022 back to plugins
- If the website went down again or started showing different error, try to rename your installed plugins under wp-content/plugins one by one and in parallel reload your site to figure out the culprit